I don’t know about you, but over the past few years, pretty much any smoothie shop or froyo shop I went to somehow advertised acai in some of their products. I never really thought anything of it. The most thought I put to it was probably just how to say it (ahhh-sigh…like PSY the singer of Gangnam Style… e). I never actually stopped to think WHY they were putting acai in so many of their products. I just figured if they were advertising it… there was probably a reason, so I probably should get it. (Amazing how marketing works isn’t it).
Well lucky for me this wasn’t one of those scams that advertises a burger fries and milkshake joint as being “nutritional,” acai actually does have miraculous qualities that really individualizes it from any other berry out there.
Get this… acai actually only grows around the Amazon rainforest region, and it only has a 24 hour period that it’s good once it’s harvested. So why go through all that trouble to incorporate it in so many United States products when it’d probably be easier to just leave it where it is?
BECAUSE IT’S A CRAZY SPECTACULAR SUPERFOOD!! And for something to actually be classified as a “superfood,” it needs to be extremely nutrient dense in a small quantity, which acai berries are!
Most of the forms of acai you can get are in the forms of a juice. While this is a good choice, I prefer the smoothie packets of frozen pure acai.
(This is the one I stock up on)
(I’m going to be posting a recipe for breakfast using this tomorrow so stay tuned!!)
Okay, back to the benefits:
1. They actually have anti-aging properties. Simply put, since they have the highest amount of antioxidants out of any berry there is, they best contribute to the slowing of inflammation that results in aging properties
2. Energy boost. Since acai does have so many powerful antioxidants, having it results in feeling energized and refreshed. Much better than relying on energy drinks, and it only takes a few berries to notice an effect.
3. Can help prevent cancer. Since acai is very high in vitamin C, it naturally results in boosting your immune system and your bodies ability to kill off tumorous cells.
4. Back to the topic of detox. Acai berries are high in fiber, so taking them will help to “flush” out your system and increase the function of your digestive tract as a whole.
5. Aids in weight loss. It’s satisfying for a low amount of calories and keeps you full. What more can you ask for?
6. Acai berries are very well known to improve your heart health. They can help to lower cholesterol while also improving overall blood circulation through the body.
I have been researching a lot about acai berries the past few days. While I have noticed that you can easily incorporate them into your diet with a pill or a powder, I really want to take them to the next level. I already have an amazing breakfast lined up for tomorrow, and I can’t wait to share it with you. I would absolutely love to keep coming up with new acai recipes if you’d so be interested. Just let me know by commenting here, through email, facebook, or twitter. I’ll be sure to get back to you
Question: What superfood would you like to know more about?